HypnoBirthing® – The Mongan Method is as much a philosophy as it is a technique. HypnoBirthing is nothing new, but rather the modern repackaging of age-old wisdom by Dr. Grantly Dick-Read. This approach emphasises the concept of natural birthing in the absence of fear and tension or unnecessary medical intervention.
HypnoBirthing preparation provides expectant mothers with an understanding of how the birthing muscles work in perfect harmony–as they were designed to–when the body is sufficiently relaxed. This kind of relaxation, free of the resistance that fear creates, allows for a calm, serene and comfortable birth.
HypnoBirthing has become a much more mainstream approach than what it used to be, with celebrities choosing this approach because they want to be in control of their birthing experience. Read more about Gisele Bundchen and Jessica Alba’s motivation for choosing this approach. Even Kate Middleton opted for HypnoBirthing – read more about that here.
Trained HypnoBirthing® educators are successfully teaching women and their birthing companions to trust birth and release all fear and limiting thoughts. HypnoBirthing®practitioners can be found in 46 countries throughout the world.
In a recent study about women’s experiences of hypnotherapy as psychological support for high risk pregnancy, the following conclusions were noteworthy:
- HypnoBirthing can provide a greater sense of control
- HypnoBirthing can provide a profound sense of relaxation during the birth experience
- HypnoBirthing can contribute significantly to pain relief and reduction in the need for pain management medication
- HypnoBirthing contributes towards experiences of self-confidence and satisfaction
- HypnoBirthing can contribute to a better bonding experience between mother and infant as a result of an increased sense of relaxation and calm
- HypnoBirthing can contribute to a more rapid recovery from Caesarian section and reduced hospitalisation